08-19-2026, 04:14 AM
About 7 to 8 months ago as of writing this I deleted my windows partition and installed linux. I never used linux didn't know much about it at all actually. I just saw win11 and decided no I was not going to install that this time. I was going to install linux and learn that not another new windows version this time. What a smart move that turned out to be. I was a windows specialist I spend decades in windows only. We are talking 3.11 to 10. I knew the system inside and out. What I did not know was how good the alternatives were. Why? Oh because I knew windows my software all ran under it all the usual lazy answers for not switching. Then when 11 released and was a mess I thought why not see what else there is? I should mention that I also dumped adobe and I was a master with that software too. I was there for the newgrounds flash animation era and I did a lot of work with adobe stuff. I swapped tools I swapped OS all of it in one shot. It wasn't even hard LOL. I thought it would be hard I thought stuff I used would not exist (it don't) but the interesting part was that there was an option here that often worked better than the windows tool I had before. I found killer replacements for things I could not even find alternatives to in windows. Most stuff I needed was a simple search away.
So what is the point am I just bragging on my forums? Not at all. Read what I just wrote in that line. My own forums exist and I am running the server I built from scratch loaded with a linux server flavor and then built all of this to run on it from scratch not a template. Well the site and it's stuff from scratch and all the forum themes. It's mybb by choice I wanted the classic stuff but modernized for a forum experience specifically. The site and forums are becoming a single seamless experience though. And this is the point. I swapped my entire experience out then built all this on the new one not the old one. This was ALL done while I was only 6 months into linux as a new user who never touched it.
Now if I can build all this as a new guy on linux and run 2 servers on my network with it and having never run a server I see no reason not to give it a shot just saying.
I'm not here to shout about how awesome linux is. It's an OS they all have quirks you need to learn and work around. What I am here to do is set a clear example of how easy it is to make a move that big in one shot. It is not impossible and this is evidence to prove that.
What else did I do? I took control over all of my stuff. I built every piece of hardware in my stack myself. I loaded all of it and made it do what I wanted. I don't have anyone between me and my stuff. I am one of those guys. I cut out middlemen and I do my own thing. That's the philosophy. It isn't new I am just making an example here and showing that it can be done this way. And just how far you can take all of it.
I think I am 6 weeks in now on this complete web stack build. Site needs some stuff I am a ways form done yet. Once it's up and built it just works. This is maybe an 8 week process today if you have something like claude code to use. I ran a 20 a month account and did all this at the speed of light. Most of my AI is local tooling not frontier model. I generate music with ACE-Step not suno. I use ComfyUI for graphics not some online paid stuff. My phones all have local models but can also request a model from my desktop from anywhere. Nothing like giving my phone the power of my pc on loan just saying.
I went further than my machine and servers. I completely removed windows from my network outside my kid's xbox and we are replacing that with a minipc soon. That's his next console not one because they are a scam box that charges a monthly fee to connect to his friends. He spends more time on his bazzite machine than he does that thing. We want to build a minipc and load it with steamos next. Notice we are building our own hardware and just using the free os. That's because I don't even agree with steam anymore.
Own your stuff fellas. Don't ask permission. It's easier than you think.
So what is the point am I just bragging on my forums? Not at all. Read what I just wrote in that line. My own forums exist and I am running the server I built from scratch loaded with a linux server flavor and then built all of this to run on it from scratch not a template. Well the site and it's stuff from scratch and all the forum themes. It's mybb by choice I wanted the classic stuff but modernized for a forum experience specifically. The site and forums are becoming a single seamless experience though. And this is the point. I swapped my entire experience out then built all this on the new one not the old one. This was ALL done while I was only 6 months into linux as a new user who never touched it.
Now if I can build all this as a new guy on linux and run 2 servers on my network with it and having never run a server I see no reason not to give it a shot just saying.
I'm not here to shout about how awesome linux is. It's an OS they all have quirks you need to learn and work around. What I am here to do is set a clear example of how easy it is to make a move that big in one shot. It is not impossible and this is evidence to prove that.
What else did I do? I took control over all of my stuff. I built every piece of hardware in my stack myself. I loaded all of it and made it do what I wanted. I don't have anyone between me and my stuff. I am one of those guys. I cut out middlemen and I do my own thing. That's the philosophy. It isn't new I am just making an example here and showing that it can be done this way. And just how far you can take all of it.
I think I am 6 weeks in now on this complete web stack build. Site needs some stuff I am a ways form done yet. Once it's up and built it just works. This is maybe an 8 week process today if you have something like claude code to use. I ran a 20 a month account and did all this at the speed of light. Most of my AI is local tooling not frontier model. I generate music with ACE-Step not suno. I use ComfyUI for graphics not some online paid stuff. My phones all have local models but can also request a model from my desktop from anywhere. Nothing like giving my phone the power of my pc on loan just saying.
I went further than my machine and servers. I completely removed windows from my network outside my kid's xbox and we are replacing that with a minipc soon. That's his next console not one because they are a scam box that charges a monthly fee to connect to his friends. He spends more time on his bazzite machine than he does that thing. We want to build a minipc and load it with steamos next. Notice we are building our own hardware and just using the free os. That's because I don't even agree with steam anymore.
Own your stuff fellas. Don't ask permission. It's easier than you think.
— Z E R O S T O H E A V E N ! —
Photonamus Industries • Founder
Photonamus Industries • Founder
.png)