08-22-2026, 12:54 AM
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2026, 01:19 PM by Photonamus.)
The Ground Problem
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Ground isn't a magic hole where electrons vanish. It's mass. It's a reservoir large enough to absorb whatever you throw at it without flinching. That's it. There's nothing mystical about the symbol at the bottom of the schematic — it's just a body big enough to soak up the charge and spread it so thin you can't feel it anymore.
If you've ever gotten a nasty shock stepping out of a car, you've already proven this to yourself. The car's body acts as ground for the electrical system, but it isn't connected to actual earth. So it doesn't drain. It builds up. And then you become the path to the real ground when your foot hits the pavement. Congratulations, you're the wire now.
So I had a question. If ground is just a reservoir, and the energy going into it isn't destroyed — just dispersed — why aren't we pulling it back? Not free energy. Not perpetual motion. Just better plumbing. Why does the drain get to keep everything?
─── ◆ ───
The Retrieval Problem
Earth carries roughly half a million coulombs of charge on its surface at any given time. There's a voltage gradient of about 100 to 150 volts per meter between the ground and the atmosphere. That's real. That's measurable. Tesla played with it. People still research atmospheric electricity harvesting today. The energy is sitting right there.
But earth is too massive. That's the wall. Pour a cup of hot coffee into a lake and then try to extract that specific heat back out. That's what pulling energy back from planetary ground looks like. The energy isn't gone — it's smeared across so many degrees of freedom that concentrating it again costs more than you'd recover.
So I thought: forget earth. What if we find a smaller sink? Something with higher energy density per unit mass. Connect the original ground to a new, lower-resistance reservoir. Let it flow downhill into something we can actually tap. Don't try to drink the lake. Build a smaller bucket and put it under the faucet before the water reaches the lake.
─── ◆ ───
The Answer That Already Exists
Turns out this is already a whole field. Every switching power supply does exactly this — instead of burning excess voltage as heat through a linear regulator, it redirects current through inductors and capacitors, sloshing energy between magnetic and electric fields, recovering what would otherwise dissipate. Regenerative braking in electric vehicles is the "battery before the ground" concept almost literally. Kinetic energy that would become brake heat gets routed back into the battery instead. Supercapacitor banks in industrial systems catch transient spikes before they disappear into thermal noise.
My smaller-sink-with-higher-density idea? That's a capacitor bank. That's a flywheel. That's every intermediate energy storage device ever designed. I reinvented the wheel. Same wheel. Round and everything.
But I didn't learn any of this from a textbook. I got there by staring at the concept of ground and asking why we're okay with losing energy to it. The same question the engineers who built these systems originally asked. Same starting point, same reasoning chain, same destination. Different route, same answer.
─── ◆ ───
This Is How I Learn Everything
And that's where this stops being about electronics and starts being about something else.
I have never learned a damn thing from a book first. Not once. Not in a way that stuck. Every single skill I have — machining, system building, lapidary, skateboarding, hardware architecture — I learned by doing it and feeling the feedback in real time. My hands and eyes are the classroom. The book is something I check afterward if I need vocabulary for what I already figured out.
List out every skill I'm good at and the pattern is obvious. Machining: you feel the cut, hear the chatter, watch the finish change under the tool. Lapidary: the stone transforms under the wheel and you can see it happening continuously. System building: POST codes, fans spin, display lights up, immediate confirmation at every step. Skateboarding: your entire body is the sensor array and the feedback never stops for a single millisecond.
Every one of them is a continuous real-time feedback loop. Zero exceptions.
Now list the things I'm terrible at. Abstract math. Music theory on paper. Code. What do they all have in common? Batch processing. You do the work, run it to the end, then find out if you were right. No bumps in the road along the way. No resistance under my feet telling me I've drifted off course. I need that signal constantly or I lose the thread.
─── ◆ ───
The One Math I Actually Get
Geometry. The one everyone else hates. And it's the only math you can see.
I can look at a circle on paper and the radius makes sense. The diameter makes sense. Pi makes sense. Because as I work the numbers there is something to look at. Something to apply the math against in real time. I'm not operating in pure abstraction — I have an image, and the numbers attach to it.
I aced geometry. Failed almost everything else. That should be a diagnostic, not a grade. A kid who crushes geometry and tanks algebra isn't bad at math. They need a visual anchor. That's actionable information. You could teach that kid algebra through geometry — here's the parabola, see the shape, now here's the equation, watch what happens when you change this number, the curve moves. Real time. Visual. Feedback.
Nobody did that. They just marked the grade and moved on.
Trig clicked too, by the way. It's angles. One specific aspect of geometry applied to real problems. Machining is full of it. Game development is full of it. I never struggled with trig because it always had a physical context — a cut angle, a projectile path, a rotation in a viewport. The math had a body.
─── ◆ ───
The Missing Tool
So here's the idea that came out of all this.
I already do math in Unreal Engine without thinking about it. Every time I rotate an object, calculate a trajectory, position something in 3D space — that's math with a viewport as the feedback loop. The abstraction has a body and I can see it moving. It works.
But I can't see the equation changing alongside the viewport. The math is still hidden behind the visual result. What if it wasn't? What if there was a dual-pane system where the abstract representation and the physical result are both on screen, both moving, locked together in real time?
Move a projectile in the viewport. Watch the velocity variable change in the equation while the arc changes in the scene. The equation stops being abstract because it has a body now. It moves when the thing moves. It's alive.
For music it's the same idea. Something like Synthesia with the falling notes, but with theory labels arriving in real time — note names, intervals, chord names appearing as they sound. Your ear already knows the pattern. The label just sticks to it through synchronized exposure. You don't study theory. You absorb it because the pattern and the name arrive together and your brain can't help but link them.
This isn't a learning tool. It's a translation layer. It takes the entire category of knowledge that's been locked away from people like me — anything abstract, anything without built-in physical feedback — and gives it a body. Converts batch processing into a continuous loop. Turns the math into geometry. Turns the theory into sound-with-labels. Puts terrain under every concept so the visual-spatial thinkers can navigate it the way they navigate everything else.
─── ◆ ───
Why It Should Be Free
A lot of people are wired like this. They got through school being told they were bad at math, bad at theory, bad at learning. They weren't. They were bad at abstraction without a visual anchor, and nobody gave them one. They left the system thinking they were limited when they were actually just unsupported.
This tool — if someone builds it — should be free for personal use. Open source. The kid in a garage who's wired like me gets it no matter what. No paywall recreating the same access problem school already has.
Commercial license for institutions. Schools and training programs already have budget lines for educational software. They're spending money on tools that fail half their students. Walk in with something that targets exactly the population their current methods miss and the pitch writes itself: I'm the kid your system couldn't teach. Here's what would have worked. I built it.
The dual license protects the mission. Personal stays free forever. Institutions that want to deploy it across a district with support, curriculum integration, and reporting — they pay, because that's a different product built on top of the same open core.
Blender does this. Linux does this. It works.
─── ◆ ───
The Bigger Point
I arrived at switching power supply theory and regenerative braking from first principles by poking at the concept of ground. I didn't read about these things first. I reasoned my way to them by asking why we accept energy loss as normal, then working backward to what a solution would look like.
That's not a party trick. That's a cognitive style. And it's the same style that can't learn from a textbook, can't do abstract math, and got bad grades in everything except the classes that had real-time feedback built in.
The system sees those two things as separate — the reasoning ability and the learning difficulty. They're not separate. They're the same architecture. The thing that makes me re-derive engineering concepts from scratch is the same thing that makes me unable to sit through a lecture. The feature is the bug. The bug is the feature.
The missing piece isn't effort or intelligence or discipline. It's a feedback loop. Give me the loop and I'll learn anything. Take it away and I'm dead in the water. That's not a character flaw. It's a specification.
Build the tool that provides the loop and you unlock a whole population of engineers, machinists, builders, and thinkers who got told they were bad at the wrong things. They're not bad at math. They're bad at math on paper. Give them math with a body and watch what happens.
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
— Z E R O S T O H E A V E N ! —
Photonamus Industries • Founder
Photonamus Industries • Founder
.png)